The management of construction projects is increasingly complex as budgets shrink and infrastructure needs grow. Gannett Fleming’s nationally recognized team of construction and program managers and inspectors provide project delivery services that set industry benchmarks for quality, value, schedule, and cost in all phases of construction. Our success is reflected in our record of low-change order costs as well as a high percentage of repeat business, proven with full in-house capabilities of a multidiscipline
architectural and engineering firm.
What You Will Do
Gannett Fleming is seeking a Senior Transportation Construction Inspector to join us in VDOT’s Northern Virginia, Culpeper and Fredericksburg Districts to inspect all phases of construction on highway construction and maintenance projects. The Inspector oversees, monitors and independently inspects routine highway construction phases for maintenance, bridge, signal installation and roadway construction projects. Measures, tests, and checks materials, methods, and installations to ensure contractor conformance with plans, specifications, and contract documents. Documents contractor progress on a daily basis, inputs data into automated software systems, and generates reports and correspondence.
- 6 years of VDOT experience and knowledge of roadway, traffic signals, structure and bridge construction methods, materials, standards, construction symbols, and terminology.
- Prepares and reviews daily inspector reports for preparation of entries into project diaries as a working knowledge of SiteManager, LCAMS and is able to properly document materials in the Materials Notebook as well as other test reports for materials.
- Records or monitors recording material received showing quantities estimated to be required in quantities received, used and tested.
- Checks materials and material documents to make sure that they have been tested or performs routine physical test and analyze sample material on the job, sends additional samples to the District, Central Office, or other testing laboratories for verification of results in coordination with the Materials Division Memorandum and Materials Engineer.
- Maintains and reviews comprehensive project records including daily diaries, documentation of construction workforce, equipment, and materials records, inspection reports, project photos, as-built plans, pay quantity records, progress schedules, work orders and monthly payment estimates.
- Tracks submittals and requests for information. Maintains project correspondence.
- Understands and performs schedule reviews for project progress and schedule accuracy.
- Conducts and documents meetings such as Preconstruction and Progress Meetings.
- Prepares weekly and monthly reports for ongoing project progress.
- Performs field checks of all “red-line” as-built plans to assure completeness of the plans.
- Assist in constructability and bidability reviews
- Monitors project budget
- Assist in contractor’s monthly evaluations
- High school graduate/GED
- Valid driver’s license
- The ability to obtain a Virginia DOT Security Clearance
- Construction inspection experience with a DOT or consultant inspection firm or a combination of education/training/experience in construction including design build, engineering, project management, or materials handling which demonstrates the ability to perform the work.
- Possesses the following VDOT Materials Certifications – Asphalt Field I & II, Hydraulic Cement Concrete Field, ACI Concrete Field, Soils & Aggregate Field, Slurry Surface, Surface Treatment and Pavement Markings.
- Other certifications: Fall protection and confined space training, Guardrail Installation, OSHA Safety, Nuclear Safety & Transportation, Work Zone Traffic Control (intermediate level) and flagger certification, DEQ Erosion & Sediment Control Inspection and DEQ Stormwater.
- Other specialty certifications may include WACEL, ICC, NICET, NACE, and CMIT (Construction manager in training) are a plus.
Will be required to work outside normal hours to observe contractors’ progress, as well as in emergencies, inclement weather, and heavy traffic conditions. Ability to work at heights and within confined spaces. May be required to operate or work in the vicinity of devices containing radioactive materials and emitting low levels of ionizing radiation. Requires safety shoes.
For more than 100 years, we’ve been a leader in global infrastructure solutions with a focus on planning, design, technology, and construction management services for a diverse array of markets and disciplines. Across more than 60 offices, 2,500+ highly qualified professionals are united in an unyielding commitment to deliver excellence to every client and every project, every day.
Gannett Fleming is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer, including veterans and disability status. Gannett Fleming Inc. will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa), including any visa renewal during employment, for any candidate for this position. No relocation assistance will be provided for this position. Local residents will be given preference.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE: Unsolicited resumes from third party agencies will not be accepted.
SIMILAR JOBS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS