Gannett Fleming has served as an engineering consulting partner in global infrastructure for more than 100 years. We improve communities through transportation, water, power, earth science, geospatial, and facility-related projects. With a steadfast commitment to innovation and technical excellence, our team is ready to do the work to provide meaningful and lasting change. Together, we are moving society forward— looking beyond conventional answers to ensure a better future for all.
What You Will Do
Clients around the world call on our technical, environmental, regulatory, public safety, and cultural expertise to meet their water resources challenges with cost-effective, reliable solutions. We partner with our clients to deliver innovative and sustainable dam and levee solutions, from concept to completion and commissioning. Whether you need a new design, rehabilitation, inspection, risk assessment, or permitting assistance, we provide resilient water management systems to reduce risk, sustain water supplies and protective works, and safeguard communities. Our designs serve clients’ needs for water supply, flood damage reduction, navigation, and recreation.
We are currently looking for a Principal Geotechnical Engineer in any of our Western US offices but preferably Roseville, CA or Oakland, CA.
As a Principal Geotechnical Engineer, you will be involved with dam and levee saftey engineering, assessment, and design; dam and levee rehabilitation; instrumentation evaluation, reporting, and modernization; dam safety engineering action planning; and related dam and levee geotechnical engineering activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and evaluating the integrity and safety of existing dams and appurtenant structures
- Conducting site inspections and assessments of existing dam and levee facilities
- Preparation of annual dam safety inspection and surveillance reports
- Organizing, reviewing, and analyzing dam safety surveillance and instrumentation data
- Planning, managing, and guiding field investigation programs, exploratory work, and laboratory testing for dams and levees under regulatory oversight and/or for Federal sponsors
- Leading evaluations of dam and levee safety and stability, including determination of ground motion and seismic stability analyses
- Geotechnical engineering activities related to the maintenance, design, and construction of water related facilities.
- General geotechnical engineering on hydropower facilities including penstocks, diversion dams, pipelines, headworks, gate structures, canals, flumes and siphons.
- Geotechnical analysis for remediation of landslides and geologic hazards
- Assign tasks to and directs junior consultants and technicians
- Supervise one or more technical staff
- Train staff on use of specialty software or proprietary applications
- Assist senior management in implementing business programs, and may manage organizational programs under the direction of senior management
This position will require a drug screen and background check.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university
- 15 or more years of increasing responsibility and experience in geotechnical engineering with a focus in dams and dam safety
- Experience in project management on multi-disciplinary teams, and business and client development
- Professional Engineering license in California, or a state that provides comity with California
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, theories and practices as applied to dams, levees, hydraulic structures, gates, valves, penstocks, dams, check structures, flumes, canals, culverts, etc.
- Proficient in the review and preparation of Reports, plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E)
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MS Office, and similar computer programs.
- Knowledge of specialized computer analysis programs (e.g., Flac, GeoStudio, Mathcad, etc.)
- Successful completion of a drug screen and background check
- Master of Science degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering
- Experience managing staff
- California Geotechnical Engineer licensure
- General knowledge of the following specialties is desirable:
- Reinforced concrete and structural steel design
- Site layout and grading
- Hydrology, site drainage, and culvert design
- Hydraulics and hydraulic modelling
For more than 100 years, we’ve been a leader in global infrastructure solutions with a focus on planning, design, technology, and construction management services for a diverse array of markets and disciplines. Across more than 60 offices, 2,500+ highly qualified professionals are united in an unyielding commitment to deliver excellence to every client and every project, every day.
Gannett Fleming is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer, including veterans and disability status. Gannett Fleming Inc. will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa), including any visa renewal during employment, for any candidate for this position. No relocation assistance will be provided for this position. Local residents will be given preference.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE: Unsolicited resumes from third party agencies will not be accepted.
SIMILAR JOBS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS